Pages

Tuesday 28 January 2014

Are you in denial?


Now this post will probably rattle a few cages, but hey, sometimes some things need to be said.
I posted an article yesterday on twitter by Katie Hopkins who's traditional controversial approach took to the issue of weight loss and the thin ideal. She expressed the nations obsession with justifying weight gain and the 'size 16' normality.

Whilst I don't necessarily agree that someone who has a pretty naturally slender physique can comment on the inner workings of a bigger girl's mind. I can however, speak with some experience, and unfortunately I do to some extent agree.


Throughout my teenage years I had always been overweight, and as my age increased, so did my waistline. One of the main reasons I believe I did not do something about my weight sooner was my constant state of denial, and justification that 'big is beautiful'. Of course we all come in different shapes and sizes, and weight loss is not easy, but after years of practising and mastering the art of excuses I can safely say constantly trying to justify weight gain will not help your situation either.

There seems to be a constant taboo with discussing weight, and many people (especially women) will quickly jump on the defence when suggestions are made for them to make some sort of change. I admire a woman who feels confident in her own skin, no matter what her size or shape, but I cannot however abide people who constantly moan about their body but will not make any sort of effort to change.

If you are 100% confident in your appearance then amazing! but for most of us this constant dissatisfaction can be heart breaking, but so can watching people on a path of self destruction because they say they want to change but their actions say otherwise.

I also cannot stand the growing trend of 'fad diets' and slimming classes which promote an unhealthy attitude to food. You may believe going 'back onto weight watchers' is a step to change, but ask yourself: if it really worked, why did you stop? and if it really worked you wouldn't have to go 'back onto it' in the first place.

Recently an old friend of mine got in contact and asked me for some training and nutrition advice. Whilst I do not have any formal qualifications, I spent several hours of my time creating a list of food swaps which incorporated the food tastes she enjoys but provided a healthy alternative. I talked to her about the importance of not being too restrictive, and maintaining the 'lifestyle' mentality over the 'diet'. I am pleased to say that following my tips she has lost 15lbs in just under a month, and I couldn't be prouder.

She is an example of someone who wanted it, but someone who didn't try and 'fast-track' with magical pills, shakes, or diets, but simply worked hard and will continue to work hard until she feels confident in her own skin.

I suppose you could say the reason behind this rant is my sheer desperation of hearing people ask me how I lost weight, or moan about being unhappy but are doing very little to change and it's this excuse and skirting round the issue which is developing our society into one that constantly makes excuses and looks for justification for underlying problems.

There is nothing stopping you achieving everything you could want other than the barriers you create for yourself. Of course it won't be easy, but the longer you talk yourself out of that workout or try and convince yourself you are 'never going to be thin anyway' the longer you will spend unhappy and further from your goal.

I'm realistic, I will never be a twig, but if you'd told me at 15 stone that one day I'd be standing there a size 8 with a size 4 waist, who enjoys exercise and VEGETABLES, I'd have probably laughed in your face and headed for the nearest Gregs. Truth is, you never know where you could be in a few years time if you started today, not tomorrow, next week, next month or next year.

2 comments:

  1. i actually really loved reading this! I think the world is WAY too obsessed with weight and everyone should be happy with who they are - but that's my opinion. Good job on this though! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was enjoying reading that till the last couple of sentences, now i want a steak bake from Greggs!

    ReplyDelete