Pages

Tuesday 4 February 2014

IIFYM (If it fits your mind)

 
"A diet is like a marriage, you can't cheat on it and expect it to work."

I have always been opposed to the word 'diet' myself. To me, diet implies restrictions, boundaries, and ultimately gets our mind set into deprivation mode and therefore we spend all our time thinking of the 'banned foods' we cannot have.

Unfortunately however, if you are competing or training for something in particular, it does require an extended level of commitment compared to those who are after a long-term lifestyle change.


Currently, I am training and dieting for a photo shoot I have in April. This therefore means my nutrition is a lot less flexible than it would be if I was not completing the shoot. One thing I will never do is begin to try and make people feel sorry for me about the restrictions that ultimately I am CHOOSING to take. It is something I consider to be a challenge, and a break from the norm of training that I have been used to over the last few years. Ultimately, I want to see where these changes can take me in terms of body composition.

The shoot for me is my goal, its my main motivation that drives me into a state of focus and determination even when I am most tired, or stressed with work, or feeling down and as each day passes I feel proud that I am another step closer.


I often see people saying: "I've put on weight and I don't know how!" - when in reality there probably is a reason behind the gain.

I, like many people, have fallen guilty to subconsciously eating/snacking and not tracking these moments. To many people in my life, my food planning and preparation is somewhat alien, but for me its mostly about making sure I know exactly what I'm putting into my body, and making sure I'm giving it enough nutrition variation to grow and energise.

People who moan they have put on weight, or moan that they are unhappy with their diet, need to change their habits. If you have gained weight there could be a number of reasons, but one of the most basic and often forgotten reasons is simply by snacking without thinking. All those extra nibbles you may steal from the fridge during meal prep, or leftovers from your children's plate, can mean sometimes you will find yourself further away from your goal than you had hoped you would be.

If you are serious about making a change, it requires a certain level of commitment. Food should not be feared, it should be enjoyed and the most healthiest of foods tend to be the most colourful and can easily become fun if you experiment in the kitchen instead of the takeaway menus.

The biggest part of the journey for me is making sure you do not play the victim. No one is making you change, and you have to want to lead a healthy lifestyle in order for it to become long-term.

Stop moaning about the fast food you're craving, or the cakes you've missed out on, and realise that we're all in this together, and we are all just as capable of achieving amazing results as each other.

Keep your own goal in mind, stop focusing on everyone else's progress because whilst you're sat their talking about doing it, everyone else is out there getting it done.


2 comments:

  1. What you have to say is the gods honest truth! My diet could be better and is something I am trying to improve further but you know what I don't starve myself or resort to living off juice or shakes because it is unrealistic! I would never join any slimming groups either cos I think they're a load of crap. For me work out and eat right and low and behold - you lose weight, look great and feel bloody better about yourself as opposed to forcing major restrictions on yourself.

    Wishing you all the best with the shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I'm glad you agree, and all the best on your journey x

    ReplyDelete