Pages

Wednesday 19 March 2014

reaching past the fads.

 
Walking into the kitchen at my parent's house, I was faced with typical sights: a little bag of funsized milky-ways which promise to be 'less than 80 calories and 45% less fat" and now the new addition of 'Low fat, special K, granola'.
 
We are currently in a sedately society, in which many people suffer with health problems due to weight. We are also surrounded by 'miracle products,' which promise all the satisfaction, without the guilt, or all the hard work, with minimal effort.
 
Not only are people being spoon-fed clever marketing ploys, but the media is full of stories which contribute to the confusion people have upon which foods are best. In the last month there have been headlines including: "Too much protein, just as bad as smoking" and a surplus of new products which promise to be low fat and therefore will turn you into a goddess (probably). 

 
Many keen fitness enthusiasts will spend hours researching nutrition and training methods in order to achieve the best results for their body. I am not afraid to admit I have tried all the fad diets and 'pills' on offer at the beginning of my journey, but made the best body composition changes when I removed all the gimmicks and played closer attention to food sources and my body's reactions.

I am constantly, learning, adapting and growing and in fact the more I research, the more I realise there is so much I do not know. So much so that I have recently hired a Gav Gillibrand at Ultimate City Fitness to give my nutrition and training a new intensity and will continue to be supported by Former Mr Universe, Jason Corrick on my journey.
 
Even the best of the best have help, and most of the time the ones who struggle on their journey are the ones who fear putting themselves out there by asking for advice. People fall for marketing strategies and products because of clever advertising and wording promising results, rather than admitting they need a bit of guidance.

The best tool I ever learnt was to read food labels. Something which promises to be 'low fat' will not make you lose fat! and chance are if it promises low fat content, those ingredients it lacks will have been replaced by sugars and sweeteners in order to not compromise on 'taste'.

I have come so far since by morbid obesity and days upon days of binge eating, but my journey is far from over. Every day I battle with frustration about body parts that need work, and foods that need resisting, but these feelings would be much harder to solve if I had the added pressure of not knowing who to trust and turn to in hours of need.

The media and certain companies are continually praying upon people's vulnerability that comes with being unhappy with their body. It should be less about products and gimmicks and more about looking past the strategies and delving deeper into the understanding of nutrition and the patience required to make a long-term change.

Don't be afraid to ask for help, it is not a sign of weakness, it is a sign of making a change and giving yourself the best possible chance to succeed. It will take a lot of trial and error, and what worked for this 'fitness model' probably won't work for you, but with the right attitude, guidance and plan, there is no reason why you can't reach your goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment