Pages

Sunday 8 June 2014

Never Give Up


Today I joined 4000 other women at Nottingham Victoria Embankment as part of Cancer Research's Race For Life 2014. 

I ran my first Race for Life in 2013, which was also my first ever race I had run. As an obese child, I had always convinced myself I was never going to be a 'runner', always came last in PE, and most of the time cried because I couldn't catch my breath. I longed to be able to run for a long for more than 2 minutes without collapsing in a heap from severe chest pains and a stitch. 

My first race was for the soul purpose of raising money for all those who had been touched by cancer, but also a large milestone in my journey so far. It allowed me to rewrite the thoughts I had placed inside my head which told me I would never be able to do it. 


For me, this has always been more than aesthetics. I'd be lying if I said looking good doesn't make me feel good, but all thoughts of looks go out the window when you're sweating and pounding the road, surrounded by thousands of women who couldn't give a damn about your 'abs'.

This year, I lost one of the most precious people in my life. My grandfather Mel was my best friend, my confidant and my main father figure. He taught me never to fear challenges, and to do whatever I wanted in my life and 'stuff what anyone else thought.' He had the rare trait of honesty that many lack these days, and this year I ran my race for him. 

Passing the 3K mark, I felt a sudden rush of sickness. Anyone who knows me, knows I'm not particularly a runner, and had done no training for this whatsoever. At this part, a little part of me wanted to give up, and then I looked up and caught the shirt of the person infront. Racing ahead was a girl no more than 10, whose t-shirt read 'I am running this race for Mummy'. From that point, any doubt that I could complete the rest of the race, disappeared. If she could finish, so could I. 

This is why I must reiterate the importance of health and how staying active is giving yourself and your family the life you deserve. Some people are taken away from us far too soon, through no fault of their own, but knowing that a poor diet and lack of exercise could be cutting your life short, makes a mockery of all those who lived healthy lives but unfortunately lost their battle.

I am pleased to say I raised £270 for Cancer Research this year and want to thank everyone that donated to such an amazing cause. I will be back there next year, joining the sea of pink t-shirts and strong women. Until then I will be living my life the way I want - taking every chance, finishing every set, and doing whatever it takes to make my dreams come true. 


No comments:

Post a Comment