Pages

Saturday 5 July 2014

Bigger than your comfort zone.

My road to a healthier lifestyle has been a long and at times particularly difficult. Although I may have lost pounds and inches, I have also suffered the consequence of losing certain friends and becoming distant with those who don't quite understand the discipline that comes with training seriously. 

I find myself reflecting back on the first half of 2014 with so many mixed emotions. It began with loss of my grandfather and for a brief moment my world completely fell apart. I lost my sparkle and my days were filled with mentally blocking out feelings of grief and anger. I also had found myself trapped in an abusive relationship and a job that lacked challenge and therefore my passion for writing became stifled too. 




Try as they might, my parents still haven't grasped how important health is to me now. I think they still look upon me as their jolly chubby daughter and associate my urge to better my body with the popular stereotype of arrogance and self-absorption. They also fail to see how an hour in the gym can be the quickest therapy you will ever find. 

Over the last month, my world has completely been turned upside down for the better. It began with being asked to be the first female ambassador for JG Fitness - a brand  that is exploding onto the industry to raise awareness of disability in sport. Following on from this I decided to take the plunge and book a photo-shoot, for which I am currently prepping for. 


This shoot has been the greatest motivational tool I could wish for in terms of nutrition and sticking to plan. I have completely thrown myself in at the deep end in an attempt to get my body in the best shape it has ever been. Taking place at the end of August with one of my best friends, it will mark 4 years of weight loss and 1 year of being completely ED free. 

Despite this being a huge challenge for me personally, I already know my end result will be no-where near the standard of those stepping on stage. Each session I am working hard to undo the damage I did as a child with two much chocolate and cheese and not enough exercise! It will mark a huge milestone in my life and having the confidence to pose and be in the limelight will take me completely out of my comfort zone. I want to show those who may presume they are not 'destined' to be in good shape that it can be done if you want it badly enough.

It will also be a two-fingered salute to those who have ever doubted me. To the kids who used to shout 'fatty' at me across the carpark, to the boy in year 10 who wanted to date me in secret because he was too embarrass to be seen with me, to the PE teacher who told me 'some people just aren't runners.' To all those people who made me doubt my own capabilities, I will show you that life is what you make of it. 

I have also been given a new job opportunity which sees me fleeing my home city and moving 130 miles away. Although I may be leaving behind family and friends, my life appears to be heading in the direction that I began the year merely dreaming of. 

I'm taking chances and I encourage everyone reading this to do the same. That job you want, that body you dream about, that place you want to visit, do it, do it all. The regret of never knowing how great things could be will always be bigger than the risk you have to take to get there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment