Pages

Friday 11 July 2014

Know your goal

This week, I've seen a lot of criticism and accusations of people 'over training' or 'doing too much.'
Whatever your goal, whether that be aesthetic or performance, it is important to take into account how much preparation it will take to achieve. Those who wish to step on stage will have to be much stricter than those who don't and those who aren't, may take a more relaxed approach. 


Often to those who accuse others of doing too much, will never understand how much hard work it takes to change habits and make permanent changes. In my life currently, I am training for a photo shoot which I hope I will bring my leanest package yet. Unfortunately however, I am having to undo a lot of damage I did to my body years ago from overeating and lack of exercise and it isn't my body's natural response to lean out as quickly as someone who hasn't had a major weight issue. In order to achieve a look I am proud of, I am having to dig particularly deep in each session, whilst fitting training and cardio around a very busy period of work. 


Consequently, this has meant this week alone I have had to get up at 4.15 every day, go to the gym for cardio, work all day and then return for resistance training at night. I am tired and I am hungry but I want to be able to say I did everything I could to bring my best package to the shoot. 

I know this lifestyle isn't sustainable and once the shoot is over I will focus on building a long-term plan to tweak my problem areas and get my body stronger. I also wouldn't recommend this lifestyle to someone unless completely necessary and certainly do not see myself above those who train for fun. 

This week in particular I have also seen a lot of tweets from people who say 'fasted cardio' isn't necessary and many have suggested that some who use the protocol are 'showing off'. I can speak for many when I say sometimes when needs must, you train when you can. 

Currently I am on 45mins cardio per day and so cramming that in to an active working lifestyle has meant I do have to get up a little earlier to get the job done. Is anyone making me? Do I think I'm better than those still in bed? Of course not! But I do climb into my own bed at night knowing that I've done all I could that day to make a change. 


I suppose the most important factor here is for you to establish your goal. It is that age-old saying "You won't get the results of the work you didn't do," and as time ticks on by, my goal is getting closer and therefore more effort is needed. This does not however mean that someone who enters a gym to keep fit and have fun, is any less important than someone training with a particular goal in mind, it just means that the amount of energy needed may be less and the amount of restricted behavior may also be lower. 

I think its also particularly important to not get too hung-up on what everyone else is doing and focus on what is needed from you to achieve what you want from your body. My 'lean' may be most people's 'off season' but to me it will be a huge milestone from the days I used to squeeze into size 18's and hide my arms in baggy cardigans. 

Have a goal in mind, whether that be a small or large goal. Do you have a party you want to wear a short dress to? or do you want to run 5 miles in the fastest time yet? Maybe its your dream to step on stage under the spotlight? ... whatever your goal, reach for it by doing the right amount of work needed to get there and never worry about if people think you are doing 'too much' or 'too little', only you know how your body feels. Listen to your body when it's had enough and push it to its full potential whenever you can - the first step to achieving is believing!

No comments:

Post a Comment