Pages

Thursday 19 December 2013

Beat the bullies.


Like for a lot of children growing up, school was tough. Especially the progression from primary school to secondary where I quickly went from popular kid to number one geek.

Throughout high school I was faced with numerous accounts of bullying. Granted, at one stage I had braces, glasses and was severely overweight, not to mention the fact I got my head down and did work, so you could say I was prime target for bullies.

Undeterred by the jibes, I kept my head down, got my 12 A-C grades and went on to travel and gain a 2:1 degree. Although bullying is mostly associated with high school drama, I can’t help but notice how much still appears to be around today in my adult life.

In the fitness industry, there are undoubtedly levels of achievement. Whether that be through strength, endurance, body composition or knowledge. If you are particularly gifted at something, does that therefore mean that someone who lacks the same talent is inadequate? Of course not.

For me, knowledge and mind frame comes before anything, closely followed by the way you present yourself through your thought projection. I am noticing more and more people with undoubtedly amazing physiques, thinking that gives them the right to criticise others because they aren’t up to the same standard.

Using myself as an example: No I have never been on stage, nor do I ever plan on. I do not have ridiculously low body fat, I am not lifting the heaviest compared to some, but I have lost 98 pounds of weight through sheer hard work. During my journey I have also learnt strength of character, perseverance, and how to overcome mental obstacles. Does this make me any less of a person than those with sub 5% body fat, athletes, or bikini models?! Of course not.

I am tired of people thinking that because they have an aesthetically pleasing physique that automatically gives them the right to criticise others on there’s. Those a few little words said without thinking could mean the difference between someone having a good day and bad.

No one has the right to make others feel inadequate and I am finding it hard to believe that grown adults are feeling the need to articulate themselves through abuse, criticism and knocking someone’s confidence.

Be more than comparing yourself to others, help where needed, laugh always, and remember you’re a very small fish in a huge pond. Sometimes silence speaks volumes, and although some may say it’s only words, you are accountable for everything you say, comment or tweet.

I would rather be known for kindness, empathy and helping someone than for being opinionated, judgemental and rude. Life is tough enough with our own self-confidence and dissatisfaction than to have the additional stress of everyone else’s opinions on how you live your life.

Whatever you are doing, keep going. If someone questions you, take pleasure in knowing that for all the time they waste busying themselves with your life, is less time they are spending in the kitchen and in the gym changing there’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment