Pages

Monday 30 December 2013

Festive Fun


So Christmas is over! and if you're anything like me you're probably feeling the effects of having some one to one time with a tub of celebrations. 

Moments of over-indulgence have always been a bit of a mind-field to me. As someone who has suffered with eating disorders in the past, I often saw comfort in purging away a late night binge. 

I am proud to say I truly enjoyed Christmas, and embraced the richness that is festive food and family time. I took a day off from fitness and dived straight in to turkey and all the trimmings - completely guilt free. Not only was this important to my family, but it was also important to me to realise how far I had come in the mental battle of self-improvement. 



I didn't feel guilty for having a few extra chocolates this Christmas because the rest of the year I am focused and driven to improving my health and fitness levels. After a year of self-discovery, letting go at Christmas time was my final way of realising how far I had come, and how much stronger I had become mentally since my days of binge eating. 

I spent the whole day laughing with family and making memories which will last a lot longer than any workout would. I trained hard on Xmas eve and on Boxing Day, but took Christmas Day as family time and relief. 

I was also overwhelmed to see the change in my family's opinions of my healthier lifestyle. Instead of trying to rebel against my new hobby, they chose gifts which embraced my love for all things fitness. Gone are the days of mum trying to fatten me up with selection boxes, instead I was met with 90% dark chocolate and gymwear. It's good to know my family are starting to realise how important health is to me now and although I know they'll never fully understand, they are slowly beginning to support.

I do hope a lot of you took the opportunity to enjoy yourselves this holiday season. One day off does not mean you will lose all the progress you have made. 

I want to look back on memories like this Christmas when I'm old and grey and know that although my lifestyle may have been different on the whole, I still gave myself time to let go and never missed out on the important things like quality time with my family.  


No comments:

Post a Comment