Pages

Thursday 12 December 2013

Me time.

Ever find yourself people watching?

I'm not scared to admit I could probably waste hours staring at those around me and wondering what's going on in their heads. This is often something I find myself doing at the gym (more so when I'm doing cardio and have more time to spare.)

I'm sure my gym is like most - different characters mixed together but all have the goal of self-improvement in mind. The popular quote 'be kind because everyone we meet is fighting a battle' definitely springs to mind.

I am well aware people wrongly judge me and I have been told I look pretty intimidating when I train. Now I'd prefer 'focused' over intimidating, but either way it is very easy to judge people even before we know the score.

I often face bitchy looks from girls when I train too, and it is becoming all to familiar to walk into the changing rooms and be met by stares and whispers. I guess a lot of people assume that I have never had any weight issues, and probably wrongly assume I am also vein.

I admire bigger men and women in the gym so much. I once was a big girl, slogging away on the treadmill in a desperate aim to shift some pounds and it takes courage to step into an foreign environment and be met with several people who have what you perceive to be much better figures.

Earlier on this week I tweeted about it being very important to make the time if you're after a big weight loss. This was wrongly misconstrued as me suggesting everyone has time for the gym - this I am definitely aware is not true.

As a 22 year old girl, I have no children to take care of, and currently I have no property to maintain either. I do however work a full-time job and cram in cardio at 5am and weights in the evening. As much as sometimes I find myself being extremely tired, I know this hectic lifestyle is my own choice and I am utilising my time the best I can to achieve my goals.

This does not mean that making time to exercise or eat healthy is easy, but it is a complete state of mind. I would never suggest that because I train and eat healthily that I am above anyone who chooses not to, but I will be honest when I say losing a significant amount of weight is not easy and does require time, patience and require making enough time to achieve the results you want to achieve.

If you claim you have no time to diet or exercise, I will never dispute this, my only argument is therefore you must learn to love the body you have or take the time to juggle things around so you can make the change.

I understand there are busy single parents, those who run businesses and those with other pressures that mean they cannot train as much as some, but those people are often the ones who ask me for a quick fix weight loss plan and leave me frustrated.

My journey hasn't been an easy one, nor has it been particularly fast. If I knew of quick fixes then I would probably be a lot further to my goal than I am currently.

I will help with any advice I can. I never claim to be an expert but I have lived through dramatic changes and the highs and lows of changing your diet. As I have mentioned before though, I will not lie and tell you that it will be easy and if you want to make a big change, it will require an equally large amount of effort and most importantly patience.

If you make the time to do your research, train hard, and eat well, the results are worth it, but it's a case of deciding how badly you want it? and how much time you can realistically dedicate to transforming yourself for the better?

No comments:

Post a Comment