Pages

Sunday 13 October 2013

be the best YOU


So after treating myself to breakfast in bed (what else are Sunday's made for?) I was browsing social media when I came across one of my favorite girls in the industry, Emma Storey-Gordon, whose status read:


"I am about to enjoy my morning cuppa but let me answer all your nutrition/training questions in just 2 words: IT DEPENDS."

Now after giggling to myself with a mouth full of oats, it really got me thinking about quick fixes and the 'one size, fits all' mentality. 



When people find out about my weight loss, one of the first questions I tend to get is: "How long did it take you?". It also often seems to be the case that when I reply with 'three years and it's still ongoing' that I am met with a looks of disappointment and in some cases even pity!

Unfortunately, we are an impatient society filled with all the 'want' to achieve in the world, but very few possess the attitude to make the achievement happen. Splashed all over the media, we are fed stories of quick fix solutions to diet and weight loss - the latest celeb loses 10 stone in 10 days blah blah blah... but then where are they in a year? back to the weight they started, plus a couple of pounds, and caught stuffing their face in a local takeaway by a bunch of paparazzi who have all been taking bets on how long it'd take them to relapse. 

Dependent on your goals, a diet should be sustainable. I have the up-most admiration for those who take part in competitions, but unless your goal is to compete, why eat like you are? 

One of my biggest tips to successful and more importantly sustainable weight loss, is to set realistic targets to meet.

I am happy to say when I began mine my first target was 'I want to be a size 12' - for me at the time that was very far away but not ridiculously ambitious so I didn't pile pressure on myself and fall at the first hurdle. 

We probably all have a goal body in mind, but just as it didn't take you days to put on weight, it isn't going to take a few days of 'clean' eating to shift it either. Setting small realistic goals keeps your mind-frame focused but is also so beneficial to your happiness when you can achieve them and move on to setting the next. 

I think its also hugely important to focus on yourself and not become obsessed with others on their  journeys. What worked for them isn't guaranteed to work for you and it's important to create the best version of yourself not a poor imitation of someone else. 

A dear friend of mine Ben tweeted the other day 'If you have managed to lose weight you have done well, if you have sustained that weight loss for over a year you have done amazing in my opinion'... with this I couldn't agree more. 

Perhaps something many people fail to mention is the difficulty of maintaining weight loss over a prolonged period of time. This is why I emphasize creating a diet and lifestyle that isn't too restrictive and so after a few months of loss you are forced into a huge binge because you have deprived yourself of everything you used to love. 

Remember your goal, remember why you're doing what you do and stay focused. I experiment with food and nutrition daily to find the best combinations suited to me and my body. I've kept my weight loss off because I allow myself treats and don't become obsessed with others around me and their achievements. Of course I want a bikini body, but I have a lot of damage to undo first and I'm taking it one step at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment