Pages

Monday 14 October 2013

Dare to be different?

Since discussing my weight loss over Twitter and social media, I've had quite a few women ask me about weight-training tips and getting started with weights. I've also had a lot of women ask me how I feel confident enough to weight-train surrounded by lots of bigger and more experienced gym-goers (who unfortunately are mostly men).

There seems to be this stereotype that women shouldn't weight train or take part in something that was once considered a very 'manly' sport. There also seems to be the assumption that it is men that have created this sexist barrier and therefore women have no choice but to look to cardio because the 'big men' make them feel uncomfortable.

I am going to be bold when I say this, but I believe most of the problem with the sexism in weight-training and exercise is in fact created by women. The gym I currently go to has separate floors for both men and women but women are allowed in any area of the gym if they so please. The four days a week I am there I am the only woman who is stepping foot in the weights area which I find desperately disappointing.

The truth is, if you are confident, have a specific gym routine you plan to follow and show focus and determination, chances are the men training won't even bat an eyelid at you!

Of course you will get the odd pervy guy, who probably has never heard of a leg day and is training in toms, but what better way to bring his perving to halt than by showing him you really know what you're doing and you can work just as hard, if not harder, than him!


Most of the women who say they experience 'nothing but pervy looks' from men in the gym, are often the ones paying too much attention to those around them. It's so important to head to each session with a plan, meaning you have targets to beat, and meaning you don't waste your time. I love training but I am there to work hard, get in and get out. I am not there to flutter my eyelashes, jog for 45mins on the treadmill and leave with immaculate hair and makeup.

The only way we will shift this female/male divide is if people stop noticing what everyone else is doing, start sweating and start reaching those targets. 

So in answer to where to get started? begin with research! I have spent many nights reading up on form and technique and working out training plans which will be both time effective and enjoyable. I also regularly seek advice from professionals and I'm always keen to improve.

When all said and done, everyone has the right to train whatever and wherever suits them and their goals and it's so important not to get stuck on worrying how you look when training. I also think it's important for women not worry about what the men think, chances are they are too busy flexing in the mirror to notice you anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment