Pages

Friday 11 October 2013

Dealing with ignorance...


Throughout my fitness journey, one of the hardest things I have had to deal with is lack of support from those closest to me.

My immediate family and friends have very little to do with healthy eating and/or exercise, and have found it hard to adapt to my new lifestyle.

Fortunately, Twitter has been a very valuable tool for when I have needed extra support.

I don't mind admitting that I rely on other people's confidence and courage to spur me on in my difficult times. Although social media shouldn't be the be-all and end-all of a person, if it can be used as a tool to support and advise than I regularly promote it.

I have met some of the most courageous and thought-provoking people through twitter, who regularly inspire me daily. I have also been able to help certain people who are on similar journeys to where mine began.

Although I have no degree or qualification in health or fitness, I believe I have quite a lot of the 'been there, done that' mentality that is sometimes just as valuable as a piece of paper and a few letters after your name.

As for dealing with criticism and comments from others, it is something I have regularly had to face over the last few years. Whether they care to admit it or not, it is lack of understanding which leads most people to make unnecessary comments. This is also combined with society's warped idea of what a 'normal' lifestyle entails.

At 22, I have no commitments, I have no partner, kids or mortgage to take care of, and for most that means partying every weekend, completely losing your inhibitions, fast food, takeaways and one-night stands. That, unfortunately is society's 'normal'.

But if normal means damaging my body, my mind and conforming to a way of life millions of others my age have, I am happy to not be 'normal'. People quiz me regularly about my lifestyle, my 'gym obsession' my 'weird Tupperware food' and my counting macros, but instead of getting angry, I simply smile politely, agree with their ramblings and know inside that no matter what anyone says, I am making the most of my life.

I can't make people understand who do not want to learn, and I won't waste my time explaining my decisions to people who don't want to hear it. I sometimes wonder if my family would prefer me to be 'old me' because at least that way I was a bit of a loner, who they 'understood', and knew where I was at all times (the fridge, or the sweetshop).

Finding fitness has allowed me to grow as a person and develop into someone with ambition, determination and drive, I don't want to live a sedately life of regrets and simplicity, I want to push hard and achieve my true potential.

It's this drive and determination which I believe my family find difficult to cope with, and there is that ignorance and lack of communication creating a barrier between them and me.

However difficult and lonely it may sometimes feel, I hope in years to come I can look back on my life and be proud of the achievements I have made, with or without direct support.

Temporarily it feels as though I'm fighting a battle with loved ones, but I am hoping when they see me reach my goals, they will realise it was all worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment